Our offices Canadian Attorney has currently returned to live in Canada.
 In the meantime, our offices have temporarily ceased to handle Canadian immigration cases.


Categories of Canadian Immigration

Qualified skilled workers/professionals

These include individuals who have been employed for at least one year within the last ten years in one of Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s qualifying occupations, who have Arranged Employment, or who have been legally residing in Canada for one year as a Temporary Foreign Worker or International Student.

Note: As of July 1, 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has temporarily stopped accepting applications for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). CIS will likely start accepting applications again when the revised FSWP selection criteria take effect. Proposed FSWP changes should come into force in 2013

 The current professional skills list includes the following occupations:

Provincial Nominees

These include individuals who have chosen to settle in a specific province or territory and contribute to its economic development. (ie Quebec; Alberta; Manitoba; Newfoundland and Labrador; Ontario; Saskatchewan; British Columbia; New Brunswick; Nova Scotia; Prince Edward Island; Yukon.)

Business persons

These include individuals with business or managerial experience. The three sub-categories of this program are:

  • investors - Note: As of July 1, 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada has temporarily stopped accepting applications for the federal Investor program to focus on processing the applications we already have while the program is reviewed. This pause on new applications will continue until further notice - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/investors/index.asp

  • entrepreneurs - As of July 1, 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada has temporarily stopped accepting applications.

  • self-employed persons - applicants who have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada that have relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada.

Family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents

    • The following individuals qualify under the Family Sponsorship category: spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners, dependent children, orphaned, unmarried, and under 18 years old brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren, intended adopted children under 18 years old, or one other relative if the sponsor has no other relatives from the list and no Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident relatives.

    • The following individuals can be included in the Sponsored person’s application for a Canada Immigration Visa: spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners and any dependent children. Dependent children must either be under 22 years old or have been full-time students since 22 years old.

Canadian Experience Class persons

These include individuals who are temporary foreign workers in Canada and international students who have graduated from Canadian post-secondary institutions.

Permanent Resident Visa

A Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa enables a person to live and work anywhere in Canada. Holders of this visa may apply for Canadian Citizenship after 3 years, as well as sponsor family members for Canadian Permanent Resident status.

Once a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa has been obtained, one must cross a Canadian port of entry with his passport and visa in order to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. Canadian Permanent Residents must accumulate two years of “residency days” in every 5-year period in order to maintain their status.

This can be done:

  • By physically residing in Canada

  • By accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse or common –law partner

  • as a child accompanying a parent

  • by full-time employment with a Canadian enterprise or the Public Service of Canada

  • by accompanying a Canadian Permanent Resident living outside of Canada and who is full-time employed by Canadian enterprise or the Public Service of Canada, as the employee’s spouse , common-law partner or child


Children born outside of Canada to a Canadian parent between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977

A new law came into effect on April 17, 2009, amending the Citizenship Act. The new law gives Canadian citizenship to certain individuals who lost it and to others who are recognized as citizens for the first time. Citizenship is automatic and retroactive to the date of loss or the date of birth, depending on the situation. All individuals who were Canadian citizens at the time the law came into effect will keep their citizenship.

The law gives citizenship to border babies who were not registered as citizens and restores citizenship to border babies who lost it other than by renunciation, as long as they were born in the first generation outside Canada.

The new law also ends the need to retain citizenship for many people. However, people born outside Canada who were subject to the retention rules and who turned 28 before the new law came into effect must have taken action to retain their citizenship.

The new law will not restore citizenship to people who lost it because they did not meet that requirement before turning 28.





Contact Us
Site Map


E-mail: office@drsi-law.com
Phone: +972 (0)77-5166505   
Fax: +972 (0)72-2159478
Advocate D. Sklar © Copyright 2010